Sweet Potato Cream Puffs
with Cinnamon Drizzle
Pâte à Choux (Cream Puff Dough)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt to a rapid simmer.
- Dump the flour in all at once and stir with a wooden spoon over low heat. The dough will come together as a smooth ball and the bottom of the pot will have a skim of dough stuck to it. Do not scrape the skim.
- Stir until no flour clumps remain.
- Remove the dough from pot and place in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scaping down the bowl after each addition. The mixture will come together in a smooth paste that is thick enough to hold its shape but thin enough to pipe easily.
- Fit a 16” disposable Decorating Bag with a large Round Piping Tip and pipe the dough into mounds that are about the size of a quarter and 1“ apart. Should yield approximately 30 profiteroles per pan.
- Place the sheets into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until they are puffy, but have little color.
- Quickly rotate the trays from top to bottom and back to front. They may deflate a touch, but don’t worry, they will puff again as they continue to bake.
- Bake for an additional 7 to 10 minutes or just until they start to turn golden-brown. Open one of them and make sure it is not too wet inside. If so, continue to bake.
- Cool Puff completely before filling.
- To fill the puffs: fill a 16” Disposable Decorating Bag with the Sweet Potato pastry cream fitted with a #7 tip.
- Puncture a small hole in the bottom of the puff with a paring knife and then fill through the bottom.
- Once filled top with Cinnamon Drizzle.
Sand Candy™ Sweet Potato Pastry Cream
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 large Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped it medium peak
- 2 cups Baked, Sand Candy™ Sweet Potatoes, mashed
- Combine Cream Cheese and Sweetened Condensed Milk.
- Combine Vanilla Pudding and Milk and stir until smooth. Let sit 5 minutes to firm up.
- Combine Cream Cheese Mixture, Vanilla Pudding, Heavy Whipped Cream and Mashed Sweet Potatoes until fully incorporated.
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours before filling Cream Puffs.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- Stir together all ingredients beginning with 2 tablespoons of Milk and add more Milk until desired drizzling consistency reached.