Sweet Potato Soup and Marinated Sweet Onions
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Vidalia® onion, peeled and sliced in 1/8-inch rings
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/2 Vidalia® onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 qts. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- For the marinated onions: In a bowl combine vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in onions. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- For the soup: In a large pot sauté celery and onion in oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season with salt, pepper and allspice. Stir in cream.
- Working in batches, ladle soup into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and transfer to a clean pot. Or, use an immersion blender to blend soup in pot until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into soup bowls and top with marinated onions.
Makes 4 to 6 servings