Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Tart with Caramelized Vidalia® Onions
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Vidalia® onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 box refrigerated rolled pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes*
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- For the caramelized onions: In a medium sauté pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until evenly browned. Remove from heat; let cool.
- For the tart shells: Coat 2 (6 inch) tart pans with nonstick cooking spray. Cut pie crusts to fit into each pan, making sure to press and tuck pie dough into bottom and sides of pan.
- For the tart filling: In a medium mixing bowl combine mashed sweet potatoes, egg, salt, pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon filling into prepared tart pans about 2/3 full. Top with crumbled goat cheese and caramelized onions
- Bake at 375 ˚F for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Serve warm or room temperature.
*For mashed sweet potatoes: Bake sweet potatoes until tender; peel and mash. Alternatively, peel sweet potatoes; boil until tender and mash.
Makes 4 servings