Grilled Oysters with Bland Farms® Premium Sweet Onion Mignonette
- 18 Large Oysters
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups kosher salt to plate
- Set the Big Green Egg for direct cooking to 425-450°F.
- Choose a shallow serving platter that will hold all of the oysters. Pour the rock salt onto the platter to create a 1/2-inch base. This will steady the oysters for serving. Set aside until the oysters are ready.
- To prepare the oysters, check to ensure they are completely closed. Discard oysters that are not. Wash and lightly scrub the oysters to ensure there is no grit on the surface. This will prevent the grit from entering the oyster once shucked.
- Using a thick glove or kitchen towel, sturdy the oyster in the hand opposite of the one holding the knife. Using an oyster knife or very sturdy paring knife, locate the “hinge” on each oyster. Place the point of the knife in the hinge and wiggle the tip of the knife into the oyster until it feels sturdy. Firmly turn the knife to apply a torquing pressure to gently open the oyster.
- Remove the top shell of the oyster. Using the tip of the knife, loosen the oyster from its shell, leaving the juices intact. Place each loosened oyster on its half-shell on a baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and a generous pinch of salt, and cook until fragrant but not burned, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- For the Mignonette: Combine the minced sweet onion, red wine vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the garlic butter sauce onto each oyster in its half shell. Carefully place each oyster directly on the grill grate. Close the dome and allow them to cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the edges of the oysters have pulled away from the shell. Remove carefully with tongs to keep the juices and butter in the shells. Place directly on the rock salt to balance them. Serve immediately with the mignonette and lemon wedges.