Vidalia® Sweet Onion and Parmesan Biscuits
- 1 large Bland Farms® Vidalia® or Premium Sweet Onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 stick Butter, Frozen
- 2 ½ cups Self-Rising Flour
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Buttermilk
- Sauté the Onions in the olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter until translucent and soft. Cool completely.
- Mix flour and cheese in a mixing bowl making a well in the center.
- Grate frozen butter into the well of the bowl and toss with flour/cheese mixture to coat the butter pieces.
- Add the sauteed onions and the buttermilk and stir just until combined and no dry pieces remain in bowl (about 15 stirs). Do not overwork the dough. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour over top of dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches).
- Fold dough in half so short ends meet.
- Repeat rolling and folding process 4 more times. This will create layered biscuits.
- Roll the dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut with a 2 1/2-inch floured round cutter, reshaping scraps and flouring as needed.
- Place dough rounds on a parchment paper-lined jelly-roll pan.
- Mix egg and 1 Tbsp Buttermilk together and brush over biscuits.
- Bake at 475° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Fill Biscuits with your favorite ham or enjoy warm with butter.